Bangor Area Farms to Visit This Sunday for Open Farm Day
This weekend is a great free, family-friendly event happening across the state of Maine in conjunction with your backyard. Get your mud shoes on and get the kids packed up to visit your community's local farm.
It's a great event to get the kids out and learn about what happens at your local farm. This year is the 29th year of this event where you can learn about the agriculture of your area and get to know the products available right next door.
What can you expect at your local farm participating in the event? Hay rides, barn and field tours, samples, entertainment and mingling with the animals.
The day is scheduled to begin at 10 A.M. and end at 3 P.M.
Local Participating Farms
- Treworgy Family Orchards - Levant: Hours 12 P.M. - 4 P.M. Blueberry picking, tour the farm on a free hay ride and purchase ice cream and donuts at the Farm Stand.
- Lone Spruce Farm - Dedham: 11 A.M. - 4 P.M. Demos, activity stations, samples, stand will be open for purchases.
- Heartstone Farm - Charleston: 10 AM - 3 PM. Samples of grass grazed beef, education tours.
- Toddy Pond Farm - Monroe: 11 A.M. - 3 P.M. Self tour; Cows, sheep, pigs, chickens and goats. Honeybee observation, farm store items for sale, local artisans with products including soaps, pottery, blacksmith items and coffee. Samples.
- Royer Valley Farm - Brooks: SAT 8 A.M. - 5 P.M./ SUN 3 P.M. - 5 P.M. Rabbits, poultry, hogs, farm store, honeybees, petting zoo, samples.
- Wheaton Mountain Farm - Bucksport: See gardens, hike with goats, milking demo, soap making.
Here's a map to find all of the farms participating this year!
For more information about Maine's Open Farm Day, check out the Maine.gov website or follow the 'Maine Open Farm Day 2019' event page on Facebook.