6 More Of The Most Haunted Places in Bangor
For more information our our 2018 Haunted Halloween Scavenger Hunt, click here.
You loved the five places we named as Bangor's most haunted last fall, so we are adding six more places to the list.
Now, we are not saying these places are haunted for sure. We are just saying they all have reasons to be. As always let us know if there is anything that we missed. We would love to add it to our next list of Bangor's Most Haunted Places.
According to Bangor Historical Society Ghost Tour guide, Matt Bishop, this may be the most haunted place in downtown Bangor. Like a phoenix, Phenix Block, now home to the Charles Inn, has risen from the ashes in history. After a devastating fire in 1869 Phenix Block rebuilt and has remained ever since. As Bangor's only downtown hotel it is and has been a busy spot throughout its past. Some of the spooks include a Union Soldier who was trying to help during the Civil War, but paid the ultimate price. Another frequent occurrence is that of a woman in white. She may be the one responsible for keeping a few of the rooms quite chilly. Reviews on TripAdvisor complain about rooms that no matter what will not warm up. Other reviews boast the unique location, decor and even sleeping with spooks! Many rooms have recently been updated to include memorabilia from Bangor history, and some believe objects of value to someone can also carry their spirit. That means the ghost of people like Al Brady, and Vice President Hannibal Hamlin may also visit the hotel as nonpaying customers.
Predating Mt. Hope Cemetery were two small cemeteries located closer to downtown Bangor. One of which was exactly where the former YMCA building is built today. It was recorded that when road work was being done in the 1830's near the Courthouse crews dumped human remains mixed with dirt from this cemetery. This was done until residents became aware of what was happening and plans were made to move the remaining bodies to other cemeteries. It is said the secret dumping of the bodies would have never been realized if a coffin hadn't been seen protruding from the ground near the intersection of Hammond and Court St. It is unknown how many bodies were buried here making it difficult to figure out if all were moved. That would surely leave some restless spirits behind, don't you think!? Some claim to still see the displaced spirits still wandering around this area possibly looking for their final resting place.
Today the Bangor House is home to the elderly and disabled complete with a large atrium, skylights and a small garden section. Although hard to not see when driving on Main St. or Union St. this building used to be a main focus of the Queen City. In 1834 the building opened as a palace hotel and operated as such for more than 100 years. Through its history the building has provided as bed to people such as Amelia Earhart, Bette Davis, Henry Fonda, Duke Ellington, Presidents Teddy Roosevelt, Ulysses S. Grant, Howard Taft, and Benjamin Harrison and many other notable names. But it also had its share of tragedy, mystery, and secrets. Boozing during prohibition, secret tunnels and even a brothel are said to have had a part in the Bangor House history. The darkest time in the building's history was when a chamber maid was murdered and her killer never found. In 1965 a 'Boston Strangler' copy cat committed rape and murder in a room on the 3rd floor. 54-year-old Effie MacDonald was found by a coworker, strangled by her own nylon stocking. The murder has never been solved and some say Effie still roams the halls looking for someone to help her find her killer.
Built in 1911 after the great fire this building isn't known for having a dark past like some of the others on this list. However, with every old building comes stories and secrets lost in time. Rumors link this building, formerly a bank, to underground tunnels from the Kenduskeag. This does't seem to far fetched if you have seen the bowels of this building. A maze of hallways with stairways and rooms here and there. As the building was most recently used as the Hammond Street Senior Center the underground hallways were being used for storage of things like craft supplies and books. When a local group of paranormal investigators left a night vision camera shooting down a hallway piled with books a few years ago they caught a book lifting and falling off a pile onto the floor. This is odd considering other reports of paranormal activity here are of books flying off of desks for seemingly no reason. For more unknown reasons there have been other reports of a woman's voice in the first floor bathroom. Who are these spirits? No one knows...
Built in the 1820s this building was first an almshouse that housed the poor, sick, inmates, and even those thought to be insane. The people lived and worked on the large property including growing their own food. In a time where there was little to no medical help for the poor many died young and that is why it is assumed there was (or still is) a cemetery on the property. There has also been evidence found of a morgue and some of the original jail type cells still exist in the building. In 1948 it became the official Bangor Chronic Disease Hospital as many of the other people who lived at 'The City Farm' were moved to BMHI. The building took on many names and jobs for a while until it was bought by Beal College in 1970. Most recently it was being used by Manna Ministries and is now in the process of being sold. But who ever buys the old brick building better be prepared for the tenants that come with the place. Ghostly reports include that of an angry spirit, a sad woman, a warm motherly type, and a shadow that will follow you around room to room!
In 1869 the property at 218 Ohio St. was donated to a group of women trying to open a home for orphaned and abandoned children. It operated in this capacity until 1975 when it became the Hilltop School. Even though as the Bangor Children's Home there was an infirmary and nurses on site, there were a few children who passed away here. A plot called the 'Garden Lot' in Mt. Hope Cemetery was reserved for those children and there 17 rest today. The 1st death was in 1872 and was an infant who had become an orphan. In 1883 Lillian Collins passed away from whooping cough. The oldest person buried in the plot is Lousia Boston who came to the orphanage as a sick infant and she became an invalid dying at age 21 in 1877. In 1878 Myra Murray died of consumption after living at the orphanage for 13 years. Not to long after that an unnamed child passed from the measles. These are just a few of the young souls who may still be waiting for forever homes here. Reports from past employees of the Hilltop School report the sound of children running and playing in the building after hours. Luckily the building's current purpose still serves children giving new playmates to the possible ghost children who don't get to go home at the end of the day.