Thanksgiving Day night is one of the busiest nights of the year for emergency vet clinics, and here's why.

Over a half million people have either adopted or fostered a dog or cat during the COVID-19 pandemic, so before you go handing over what's left of that candied yam from the Thanksgiving dinner table to those puppy dog eyes below, read this.

Many people are counting their blessings with a pet in their home for the first time, and who can blame them? But certain foods being served up this Thanksgiving can be very bad for our four-legged friends, so here are a few words of advice from Best Friends Animal Society that you may want to go over with anyone who may be there that day.

Feeding your dog or cat rich and fatty food can do things like cause an upset stomach or even cause pancreatitis which could be life threatening to the animal.  Any sort of bone could splinter and be deadly to a dog, so don't be tempted to give it to one, just throw it away.  You also should keep things that were used to cook food away from your pets as they'll be tempted to eat them because of the smell and taste. Things like plastic wrap, string, mesh and those pop-up timers, could be very bad news for them if ingested.

Also, dogs and chocolate don't mix.  Chocolate, especially the type used for cooking, can be toxic to a dog. Other common food items that can be poisonous to dogs include onions, raisins and grapes.

Want to make Thanksgiving day special and safe for your furry friend? Then buy it a new pet toy or some treats from the pet food aisle at your favorite store.

Enter your number to get our free mobile app