Bangor Fire, Explosion Caused By Discarded Smoking Materials
An explosion that shook part of the city in May was caused when discarded smoking materials started a fire near a propane tank, according to officials.
The May 10 fire at 11 Center Street Ave., was ruled accidental by the State Fire Marshal's Office. The investigation determined that the discarded smoking material started a fire near an outdoor grill, according to information provided by the Maine Department of Public Safety.
When the fire reached the propane tank attached to the grill, the tank exploded, sending a column of thick, black smoke into the air.
Fire departments from all around the region were called upon to battle the blaze, which started around 6 p.m. on Monday, May 10.
The fire, which raged for several hours, burned much of two neighboring apartment buildings on the one-way street. There were no injuries.