Stillwater Avenue Fire Caused By Candle [UPDATE]
UPDATE: Stillwater Avenue has reopened.
Crews on Wednesday battled a fire on Stillwater Avenue in Old Town near the intersection with Bennoch Road.
Investigators with the State Fire Marshal's office determined the fire was caused by careless use of a candle. Crews from multiple agencies responded to a report of smoke issuing from a building near Riverside Pizza. Crews from Old Town, Orono, Milford, Bradley, Bangor, Glenburn, and Veazie responded and knocked the fire down. A search of the building determined that all the occupants of the three-story apartment building had already evacuated.
None of the tenants were hurt, but one police officer suffered smoke inhalation. He was treated by a crew with University Ambulance and released at the scene.
The American Red Cross is assisting those displaced by the fire.