Probably A Good Idea To Check That Jar Of Jif
A popular peanut butter brand has issued a recall after the Center for Disease Control said over a dozen people became ill from Salmonella after ingesting it.
The CDC says the culprit behind the sickening is certain batches of Jif peanut butter, sold nationwide. They were said to have been sold in creamy, crunchy, all-natural, and reduced-fat varieties, in varying sizes.
If you do have any of the Jif peanut butter on hand, the CDC says not to eat it. Throw it away immediately!
"This product has a very long shelf life, so be sure to check any Jif peanut butter you have at home to make sure it has not been recalled. Wash surfaces and containers that may have touched the recalled peanut butter using hot, soapy water."
"Lot code numbers 1274425 through 2140425, with “425” at the end of the first 7 numbers."
Symptoms of Samonella sickness can range from diarrhea and a fever higher than 102°F to not being able to keep liquids down, and extreme dehydration.
Older folks, children, and people with weakened immune systems run a risk of serious illness as a result of exposure to Salmonella.
If you think you might be sick with Salmonella from eating tainted peanut butter, the CDC says it's important to call your healthcare provider and get yourself checked out.
Always better to play it safe than to end up sorry.