Scott Gallant, 40, of Prince Edward Island has been charged with eluding examination after being arrested at Dysart’s Truck Stop in Hermon.

U.S. Border Patrol agents assigned to the Houlton Border Patrol Station arrested the Canadian man for illegally entering the United States.  The arrest is the result of information from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Houlton port of entry on a Canadian citizen believed to be fleeing Canada to avoid pending assault charges.

On the afternoon of Feb. 2, agents from the Houlton Station were notified by both RCMP and CBP Houlton port of entry officials of a man, Scott Gallant, who was preparing to cross or had recently crossed the international border illegally. Once the family members were admitted to the U.S. and because there was a possibility of the subject being picked up by these family members, agents followed the vehicle southbound on I-95 to Dystarts Truck Stop and Coldbrook Restaurant in Hermon.

A Border Patrol agent on patrol in close proximity of the Houlton, Maine port of entry. (CPB)

Patrol Agent in Charge Dennis Harmon says, that after more than an hour, agents observed a male fitting the subject’s description get into the driver’s side of the vehicle. Because the man fit the description of the individual in question, police performed a vehicle stop. During the vehicle stop, agents determined Scott Gallant was illegally present in the U.S. Harmon says all four individuals in the vehicle were transported to the Houlton Station for further investigation.

A CBP officer and his canine partner conducting an inspection at the Houlton, Maine port of entry. (CPB)

Gallant's mother and his three children were questioned and released. Gallant was turned over to the U.S. Marshals Service. The case is being prosecuted by the United States Attorney’s Office, District of Maine.

He faces up to six months in prison, a $5,000 fine, or both, and deportation from the United States.

Gallant appeared in U.S. District Court in Bangor Wednesday. U.S. Magistrate Judge John Nivison ordered him held for a bail hearing scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 9.

Details of the alleged assault in Prince Edward Island have not been released.