List of Free, Fun, Family Friendly Activities July 26- August 1 in Downeast Maine
It's crazy to think that this coming Sunday is August 1st! Summer is going too fast. Hopefully you are able to take advantage of the list of FREE, FUN and FAMILY FRIENDLY activities in Downeast Maine. Here's a list we have for events and activities taking place the week of July 26th - August 1st. If you have events that you wish to add, please email them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. This list will be published weekly, hopefully on Sundays in the future and updated as events are added during the week.
Monday, July 26
- Southwest Harbor Public Library - Maine Library Quest Website Treasure Hunt for Tweens & Teens The Southwest Harbor Public Library is proud to participate in Maine's first ever Library Quest. Tweens, teens, and their families can act as detectives, looking at library websites across the state of Maine for clues to solve a mystery: Who Stole the Honeybees? Search participating library websites for clues and add them to field journals. More details and prize info to come!
- Northeast Harbor Public Library - Kids Yoga on the Lawn 10:30 a.m.
- Ellsworth Public Library - Lounge and Listen 3 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Join Miss Renee as she reads a fun chapter book. This event will be held outside, socially distanced, on the Library's lawn. Please bring your own blanket or chair.
- Hancock - Tidal Falls - The Crown Vics Frenchman Bay Conservancy is excited to welcome back their free concert series on July 26, 2021. Music by The Crown Vics will begin at 6:00pm. Visiting food trucks and vendors will offer dinner & dessert. Picnic tables on the lawn are first come, first serve; please feel free to bring lawn chairs and blankets.
Tuesday, July 27
- Ellsworth Public Library - Yoga on the Lawn 10:30 a.m to 11:30 a.m.BYOM ~ Bring your own Mat for Yoga on the Library Lawn with Genevieve M Billings RYT – 200, RCYT of Bala Bee Yoga! Story Time Yoga Includes: A story, creative playful movement, games to get the wiggles out, a mindful activity, breath work & yoga poses to compliment the featured book. Closing with a guided relaxation.Ideal for 3 – 9 year olds, all welcome & parents are encouraged to stay.Pre–Registration Required Call Keli at the Library 667–6363
- Northeast Harbor Public Library - Outdoor Storytime with Ms. Robin 10:30 a.m.
- Bar Harbor - Open Table MDI Take Out Cafe- 4 p.m to 6 p.m. Offering FREE, healthy community meals in Bar Harbor, Maine. These meals are hosted at the Bar Harbor Congregational Church and are open to all.
- Southwest Harbor Public Library - Meet the Author 5:30 to 6:30 p.m Josie Iselin Art & Algae: A Journey Into The Curious World of Seaweed. A magical online presentation of fine art and scientific exploration with Josie Iselin author and illustrator of The Curious World of Seaweed. Registration is required. Will be held online. Limited to 90 seats
Wednesday, July 28
- Southwest Harbor Public Library - Fledgling Storytime with Miss Amanda at the Wendell Gilley Museum - Awesome Owls 10:30 a.m. The Library and the Wendell Gilley Museum are teaming up for a Pre-K storytimes series taking place outside the Museum at 4 Herrick Road, Southwest Harbor. Librarian Amanda Crafts will enchant with songs, stories and art about birds. The program is free but please reserve your space. https://www.wendellgilleymuseum.org/events.
Families get to visit the Gilley afterwards for no charge
- Ellsworth - First Congregational Church offers a free take-out meal available between 2:30 and 4 p.m. Please call the church by 3 p.m. on Wednesdays, 667-8321, to reserve a free meal. Enter the Church Street door located diagonally across from the Ellsworth Police Station.
- Northeast Harbor Public Library Virtual Farnsworth Lecture with Jane Bianco Women of Vision 5:30 p.m. Email email@example.com to register for this virtual event.
- Ellsworth - Ellsworth Concert Band - Harbor Park Schedule is Set-up and warm-up from 6:10- 6:30; Rehearsals: 6:30-7:00 and Concert 7:10-7:45
- Ellsworth - Ellsworth Public Library - Mime and Music Workshop
6 p.m to 7 p.m. Join Scot Cannon from Belfast, Maine for his Mime & Music workshop. It’s a show, it’s a workshop, wear comfortable clothes. You will move, sing, laugh and learn more than just sit and watch. Scot wants you to “Find two things you love to do”. The program is about engaging in Positive and Productive activities every day! MOVING IS THE MESSAGE! Program is outdoors please bring your own blanket or chair. Raindate Thursday, July 29 at 11:00 am
- Bar Harbor - Seaside Cinema (Dusk) - Pray for good weather! After 2 consecutive rainouts, the Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce presents the 1st FREE Outdoor movie of the season in Agamont Park. Pack the bug spray, snacks, blankets and lawn chairs and get ready for a great night! This week's movie is "Missing Link"
Thursday, July 29
- Northeast Harbor Public Library - Harry Potter Birthday Party on the Library Lawn with Miss Lauren 10 a.m. to 12 Noon
- Ellsworth Public Library - Family Story Time 10:30 a.m to 11:30 a.m. Join Miss Keli for silly songs and stories. This event will be held outside, socially distanced, on our lawn. Please bring your own blanket or chair. Bring home a fun make & take craft. *event will be cancelled for bad weather*
- Jesup Memorial Library -Summer Reading: Tails with the Wendell Giley Museum 10:30 a.m to 11:30 a.m. Join Steven Valleau, artist-in-residence at the Wendell Gilley Museum as he carves bird and fish tails. When Steven met Wendell Gilley the museum was just being constructed. A couple of years later, Steven was carving up to 200 birds a year and selling them at the museum’s gift shop and craft fairs. He took a summer job at the museum and found his place. He has spent 35 years carving birds for the Gilley and teaching others the love of the craft. Shore birds, such as sandpipers and herons, are Steven’s favorite ones to carve. Contact Miss Mae to reserve your spot by calling 207-288-42425 or by email.
- Ellsworth Public Library - Virtual Dungeon and Dragons 3 to 4 p.m. Join the Ellsworth Public Library during their virtual D&D group for hours of fun! Bring a character and a set of dice. For kids in grades 5-12. If you would like to learn how to play D&D join them on the first Monday of the month. Registration is required for these events. Please click the link
- Neighborhood House - The 21st Annual Bike Parade & Ice Cream Social 5:30 p.m. Bike Decorating 6 p.m. Parade followed by Ice Cream Social Northeast Harbor For More Information - Click HERE
- Jesup Memorial Library - Virtual Author Talk: L.C. Rooney "Secrets & Lies" 7 p.m to 8 p.m. L.C. Rooney’s professional career began by convincing her first boss to pay for her paralegal training. She still considers that to be the most fun she’s ever had working—until she began writing fiction…about a paralegal. While there may be some similarities between the author and her protagonist Riley Russell, the latter is savvier, younger, and more willing to confront danger than the former. Let’s face it: there’s a lot to be said for only having to think, dream, and write about criminals rather than face down the real thing in dark places. Ms. Rooney currently calls Mount Desert Island home, but, like Riley, she is and always will be a Jersey girl at heart.
Friday July 30
- Milbridge - Pet Parade as part of Milbridge Days. Line up at 3:30 p.m. at the Milbridge Commons. Parade begins at 4 p.m.
- Milbridge- Gateway Milbridge is sponsoring The Allison Ames Band with a live concert at the Milbridge Theatre Waterfront Stage . Music begins at 6:30 p.m. Always a huge crowd pleaser, the Allison Ames band will have everyone dancing and celebrating with many classic hits spanning country to rock. (Rain date for each performance will be Sunday). Bring a chair to enjoy the evening with us!The Milbridge Theatre Outdoor Stage is now located on the beautiful waterfront of the Milbridge Town Marina (Bayview Road in Milbridge)
Saturday, July 31
- Milbridge Days - All Day Town of Milbridge. Click HERE for lineup of activities. Spectacular Fireworks Display, over the Narraguagus River/Bay at night.
- Ellsworth Public Library - Books and Babies 10:30 to 11 a.m. - Join Miss Cheryl for stories, songs, rhymes, bounces, puppets and more. This event will be held outside, socially distanced, on the Library's lawn. Please bring your own blanket or chair. Event will be cancelled for bad weather
Ellsworth - Knowlton Park's Splash Pad is the place to cool off in Ellsworth!
The restroom facilities are open from 8AM to 9 PM. The changing rooms at Knowlton Park are open as well. Water in the Splash Pad will operate between 10AM and 8PM, everyday, unless the temperature falls below 65, which it will then automatically shut off until the temperature rises again.
Looking for somewhere that's kid friendly and FREE in Bar Harbor to cool off? The place to go is the Glen Mary Wading Pool! The Pool has a maximum depth of 2 feet and is open daily from 10AM to 8 PM. There is no lifeguard on duty, and children under 10 need to be accompanied by someone 14 and over. Pets are not allowed in the fenced in area. Food and beverage is allowed but not in the water. There are changing facilities
The Glen Mary Wading Pool is located at 11 Waldren Road. The easiest way to get there is to go on Park Street and go past the YMCA and cross Ledgelawn Avenue. At the end of the road turn right onto Glen Mary Road. At the end of the road turn left onto Waldren Road.
Handy Phone Numbers
Ellsworth Public Library - 207-667-6363
Southwest Harbor Public Library - 207-244-7065
Northeast Harbor Public Library - 207-276-3333