FEMA to Help Cover Funeral Expenses for Victims of COVID-19
The Federal Emergency Management Agency will provide financial assistance to help cover the cost of funeral expenses for people who have died of COVID-19.
Applications for this assistance won't be available until April. But FEMA is encouraging anyone whose loved one has died of COVID-19 to start collecting documents now, in preparation.
There are some requirements that must be met, in order to be eligible:
- The death must have occurred in the United States, including the U.S. Territories and the District of Columbia.
- COVID-19 must be listed, on the death certificate, as a cause of death.
- The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or a qualified alien who incurred the expenses after January 20th, 2020.
- There is no requirement for the deceased to be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or a qualified alien.
Some of the documentation that will be required include:
- An official death certificate that lists COVID-19 as a cause of death, and shows that the death occurred in the above-noted regions.
- Funeral expenses documents (receipts, funeral home contract, etc) that include the deceased's name, the applicant's name, the amount of the expenses, and the date that the expenses were incurred.
- Proof of funds received from other sources to help pay for the funeral expenses.
Qualifying applicants can receive a check in the mail, once their application is approved, or have them direct deposited into a bank account. FEMA says these funds would be channeled through the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2021 and the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021.
A funeral assistance toll-free number will be set up soon, to help people through the application process. Updates will be posted on the FEMA website.
How Many in America: From Guns to Ghost Towns
LOOK: Answers to 30 common COVID-19 vaccine questions
While much is still unknown about the coronavirus and the future, what is known is that the currently available vaccines have gone through all three trial phases and are safe and effective. It will be necessary for as many Americans as possible to be vaccinated in order to finally return to some level of pre-pandemic normalcy, and hopefully these 30 answers provided here will help readers get vaccinated as soon they are able.