Here’s How To Delete Your Personal Information From This Scary Genealogy Website
In this day and age of concern about online privacy, there's a free website that knows too much about you. I was shocked when I went to Family Tree Now and it knew where I have lived, with complete addresses since the mid 1970s as well as a list of possible relatives, which were indeed related to me.
If you wish to opt out of this database, you and go to familytreenow.com/optout and follow the four steps you’re given. You’ll get a notification that your record is being processed and may take up to 48 hours to be removed.
Although they claim that all of this information is from free public records, it's kind of scary to have it all available in one site. In this day and age, you just can't be too careful!
You'll want to go back a couple of times to make sure you have opted out for all of your records, as I was on there a few times, and you may be as well.
Here’s how you can Opt Out of Family Tree Now:
- Visit FamilyTreeNow.com HERE
- Under ‘Start Your Journey’ enter your first name, last name and state. Click ‘Search’
- Find yourself on their search. If there is more than one person with your name that lives in your state, you can narrow down your search by looking at the age.
- Click on the account that matches your personal information.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the Family Tree Now website and click on their ‘Privacy’ link.
- From the Family Tree Now privacy page, scroll about 1/3 the way down until you see a blue hyperlink that says ‘Opt Out Here’
- Search your information again. Once you find your page, click ‘Details’ and then a red ‘Opt Out Here’ button will appear.
- Click ‘Opt Out Here’ and you’re done. You’ll be removed from Family Tree Now’s website within 48 hours.