What’s The Worst Road In Maine?
And the worst road in Maine is........
The Maine Better Transportation Association has announced the winner of it's "Worst Road In Maine" contest and the honor goes to....Route 15 between Blue Hill and Stonington!
Gabriel Zacchai, a Camden National Bank employee and musician wrote about a harrowing trip on Route 15 to from Blue Hill to Stonington this spring and his tale convinced the judges that the road is like no other.
“As a 42-year-old native Mainer, I can say with absolute certainty that this is THE WORST PAVED ROAD I HAVE EVER TRIED TO MOVE A CAR OVER IN MY LIFE. I THOUGHT THE FRONT END OF THE CAR WAS GONNA COME OFF!” wrote Zacchai in his official entry according to a press release from MBTA.
Zacchai is frequently is on the road for his job as facilities specialist for the bank had been thinking about nominating two other roads for the contest, Old County Road in Rockland and Route 131 from Belfast to Appleton. But it was one special journey to Stonington that changed his mind.
Zacchai said, "I drove over 40 miles at about 5 miles-per-hour with a file cabinet that was determined to jump from the back seat into the front seat with me. If you live in Stonington, and you need anything from anywhere, I guess you take a boat."
Here's the official standings in the MBTA's "Worst Road In Maine Contest!"
- Route 15, Blue Hill to Stonington, Gabriel Zacchai, Camden
- Route 15, Rockwood, Lisa Hargreaves, Wiscasset
- Route 183, Sullivan, Bruce Munger, Sullivan
- Route 121, Oxford, Amy Brousseau, Mechanics Falls
- Route 35, Harrison, Angela Maddocks, Harrison
- Route 7, Dover-Foxcroft, Nancy Godfrey, Dover-Foxcroft
- Mill Street, Madawaska, John Young, Madawaska
- Stagecoach Road, Unity, Robin and Ed Coffin, Unity