Things You Should Avoid Buying at the Supermarket
One of my favorite websites, Thrillist.com, has an article where they talked with current and former grocery store workers, plus combed through some industry reports, and identified the grossest foods and biggest ripoffs in the industry. So, the next time you are grocery shopping you might want to think twice about these things.
1. Salad Dressing: The store bought stuff has up to 20 ingredients in it and can add up to 200 calories to that healthy salad. You can easily make your own dressing at home with three of four ingredients.
2. Pre-Shredded or Grated Cheese: Not only are these expensive, they are often try to cut costs by adding non-cheese fillers, including wood pulp.
3. Almost any non-food item: Most grocery stores have a large mark-up on school supplies, light bulbs, paper products.
4. Deli Salads: Not only do you pay more for the convenience, some grocery stores use produce that is starting to not be so fresh in their pre-packaged salads.
5. Exotic Produce: Mangos, Starfruit, papayas usually don't sell as well as oranges and bananas. So, the freshness is probably not as good as a speciality store.