We all make fun of those people who rush to the store when there's snow in the forecast. But, you know, they might not be so crazy after all! With the threat of a major winter storm headed our way this weekend, you may want to make sure you have a few necessities on hand.
I always dread going to the grocery store before a big storm. I used to work in a supermarket and I know how crazy it gets when people are afraid of losing power. When an inch or two are forecasted, I laugh. But this weekend could get serious, so I'll be there...standing in line with everyone else! Some things you might want to make sure you have...just in case you lose power or can't get out of your driveway.
- Non-perishable food like bread, peanut butter, granola bars, prepared foods, etc.
- Water for yourself and for your pets
- Flashlights and batteries
- Plenty of food for your pets
- Diapers, formula, etc for baby
- Battery operated radio (with new batteries)
- Board games, reading material, etc to keep yourself and the kids occupied if the power goes off
- Manual can opener
- Make sure your prescriptions medications will last through the weekend
- Fully charged cellphone
It's all common sense, and since we live in Maine, most of us will think of these things. But it's always good to remind ourselves, too. Things like...if you have a front-wheel drive vehicle, back it into the driveway so it will be easier to get out of the snow...if your trunk freezes as easily as mine, put the jumper cables in the back seat...and if you're going out in your car, it's a good idea to have an emergency kit in the back seat in case you go off the road.
We're hearty Maine folk and we can certainly weather a heavy winter storm. But as Mainers, we also know it's important to be prepared! Happy Snow Days!