I-395 in Bangor To Reopen Today
I-395 in Bangor will reopen a day ahead of schedule, as the bridge replacement project is completed.
The Maine Department of Transportation announced this morning that the Webster Avenue Bridge replacement will be completed Monday at 1 p.m. and that I-395 will reopen to all traffic at that time. The section of road between Exits 1 and 2 was closed last Friday evening, with completion expected on Tuesday morning.
The project went faster than anticipated with workers removing the existing guardrails on Friday evening. DOT officials said in a press release that by Sunday morning just before 9, the 57-year-old Webster Avenue Bridge had been completely demolished and hauled away. Crews worked overnight Sunday into Monday, successfully paving and installing the new bridge. This morning's duties included replacing the guardrail and striping lanes.
Maine DOT Press Secretary Ted Talbot said the department would like to thank Bangor officials who worked with them on the project, along with the local residents, businesses, and visitors who were patient through the 65-hour process. He went on to say that officials "especially want to recognize all the construction crew members who worked around the clock to make this important infrastructure upgrade a reality."
All the improvements to I-395 are not completed yet, however, with the entire stretch due to be paved in the late spring. Officials say at least one lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction, and work will be limited to nighttime paving, 6 p.m to 6 a.m. The only exceptions will be during the American Folk Festival and the Bangor State Fair, when work will not begin until 10 o'clock.
Some ramp closures will be required during the project, but these will be limited to 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. with at least 72 hours notice to the public. The rehab will include stripping the roadways down to grooved pavement, making repairs to the road and guardrails, and repaving.