Dance Moves that are Scientifically Sexy
Fellas, science is helping us attract the ladies with yee ol' bump and grind.
Researchers at Northumbria University and the University of Gottingen wanted to see what dance moves drives the ladies crazy...in a good way! Although they say more work is needed on the subject, their preliminary results were interesting.
Using a fancy-shmancy camera, 30 dudes danced to a beat for 30 seconds. The camera turned the dancer into a featureless and gender-neutral digital avatar.
37 ladies then watched the dance routines, rating the performance on a seven point scale. Researchers made a classification system of individual dance moves. Three sections of the body were isolated, along with the major joints in the area.
Those areas and joints were:
- Central body - Neck and torso.
- Legs - Knees, hips and ankles.
- Arms - Shoulders, elbows and wrists.
- Women gave higher ratings to dancers showed 'larger and more variable movements of the head, neck and torso.'
- Leg movement speed makes a difference. Also dancers twisting and or bending the right knee received higher marks.
- Twisting and or bending the left knee received lower marks. Bummer for us lefty's...
- Arm movement had little effect on ratings.
Based on this study...I'm dancing doomed.