2013 Oscar Nomination Fun Facts
As you may have heard, the 2013 Oscar nominations were announced today. There were lots of surprises and notable snubs but in all the nominations there are lots of interesting facts, you might not know. Like, which Oscar nominee got their start on the 1993 Vanilla Ice movie ‘Cool as Ice?’ Check out these 10 facts about the 2013 Oscar nominations and sound smart at your Oscar viewing party.
– “Skyfall” by Adele is the first song that reached the Top 10 on Billboard’s Hot 100 Singles to get a Best Song nomination since Eminem’s “Lose Yourself” in 2003.
– This is the second time in three years the Oscar host was also nominated for an award. Seth MacFarlane was nominated for co-writing the original song “Everybody Needs a Best Friend” from ‘Ted‘ while James Franco was nominated as Best Actor for ‘127 Hours’ in 2011. This has happened seven other times including Michael Caine in 1973 and Walter Matthau in 1972.
– Every nominee is the Best Supporting Actor category – Christoph Waltz, Tommy Lee Jones, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Robert De Niro and Alan Arkin – have all won Oscars before.
– Janusz Kaminiski, nominated for Best Cinematography for ‘Lincoln,’ previously worked on the Vanilla Ice movie ‘Cool As Ice.’
– No actor or actress has ever won an Oscar for appearing in a Steven Spielberg movie.
– Quvenzhane Wallis and Emmanuelle Riva – at 9 and 85, respectively – are the oldest and youngest Best Actress nominees ever.
– Quvenzhane Wallis’ name is pronounced Kwe-VEN-zhah-nay.
– ‘Silver Linings Playbook‘ is the first film since 1982 to get nominations in all four acting categories. (That 1982 film was Warren Beatty’s ‘Reds.’)
– ‘The Simpsons‘ were nominated for their first Oscar for the animated short film ‘Maggie Simpson in “The Longest Daycare”‘ which ran before prints of ‘Ice Age: Continental Drift.’
– ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ is the first Christopher Nolan film since 2002’s ‘Insomnia’ not to receive a single Oscar nomination.
– Actress Scarlett Johansson isn’t nominated for an Oscar this year, but she’s close. The actress performs the Oscar-nominated song “Before My Time” in the documentary ‘Chasing Ice.’
Subscribe to WBZN Old Town Maine on